Friday, December 11, 2009

I'm starting to get excited about the coming racing season...

The 2010 racing season looks like it's going to be awesome. This will be my first season since I have been involved in racing media and photography that I will be able to devote exclusively to Sprint Car racing. It was a bittersweet decision to have to cut back to only one type of racing due to financial and family obligations but it had to be done. I'll see Mods, Midwest Mods, Supers, Streets, Pures and Hornets as support classes as the various Sprint shows so the thing that's going to be kind of tough is not seeing the Late Models as often as I should. I'm going to have to work a few nights into my schedule so I can get some interviews for Midwest Racing Talk. I think you're going to like the direction we're going to take with MWRT.

How has the cold and snow been treating you so far? I have gotten through the entire week but not without a few mechanical problems. My snow blower experienced some mechanical difficulties during our recent snowstorm and appears to be on it's last legs. It's an old used piece that needs more work than it's worth. It runs terrible, the clutch is slipping and the chute is stuck in one position. I nursed it through the whole job but it required frequent restarts, careful planning to aim the broken chute so I wouldn't get a face full of snow. Every three feet the clutch would slip stopping the auger so I'd have to back up and go over the same area a couple of times. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that. Even the smallest snow blowers are upwards of $350 new and there's not much good used stuff out there. I've got a two foot wide snow scoop and I might be able to nurse the old snow blower through a couple more snowfalls. If we get a really heavy snow like a foot or more I've got a neighbor who will come over and plow it.

I didn't get a chance to agonize for long over the snow blower because my car started giving me some trouble and diverted my attention. The car started running real rough for about five minutes when I first start it up. I had to have my wife give me a ride up to where I get picked up by my vanpool in the morning so I could get to work. There's an auto parts store where I get dropped off so I picked up a can of Heet for both cars. It started running like that Thursday night after work when I started it cold and had to keep my foot lightly on the gas so it wouldn't kill for about five minutes. Tomorrow I'm going to get it warmed up, add the Heet and fill it and take a long drive so it gets up to highway speed. If that doesn't take care of the problem I'll bring it into the shop and get it looked at. It's nice when the problem isn't so bad that I can still drive it in to the shop instead of having to pay for a tow. Probably somebody like me who drives around in a 1989 model should think about getting AAA or something. One of these days I'll have to upgrade but I really like this old boat. Probably when the Merc gives out I'll get a mini van so I can throw a sleeping bag in the back for impromptu camping. Challenges can be a hassle to deal with when they're happening but sometimes in the long run one ends up in a better situation when it's all said and done.

I have already penciled in the World of Outlaws Sprint Cars at North Central, Cedar Lake and Deer Creek. It's great to see these guys coming back up into our area and all three should be great shows. North Central is on July 3rd, Cedar Lake July 11th and Deer Creek on September 18th.

In addition to the Outlaws I'll have a bunch of other great Sprint Car races on my schedule in 2010 that I'll be talking about as we get closer to next season. I've already got some potential interviews lined up so it should be a fun year.

That's all for now. Later!

No comments: