Sunday, July 20, 2014

Haven't forgotten about the blog and my YouTube channel

I haven't posted anything on this blog this season so I thought I had better put down a few words.  The 2014 racing season has been going pretty much as expected.  I replaced my camera body with a used D200.  It's a decent piece for what I paid for it but does have a couple of minor issues.  Nevertheless, the D200 was considered a semi professional camera in it's day and has a metal frame and is sealed from dust and moisture better than my D70s.  I have more control over this camera and it has opened my eyes to what's available at the next level.  I'd like to be able to pick up  a D300s and a longer low light lens before I retire but it remains to be seen if I will be able to do that. 

I'm pretty satisfied with my music equipment and the tunes I am able to record through my PC based audio system.  Making music gives me many hours of enjoyment.  I used to create videos out of my tunes and would post them on YouTube but I wasn't happy with the sound quality.  I haven't tried creating one yet in Linux so I'll have to do that and see how it sounds.  Meanwhile I have been posting my songs to a reverbnation page.  Check out reverbnation.com/skmeissner for some of my tunes.  I have no aspirations of doing music professionally and pretty much do it for fun.

My late July and August racing schedule got trimmed down by a couple of home projects.  I'm looking to make two more races in July, probably three or four in August, and the Jerry Richert Sr. Memorial in September.  I'm not sure about the Legendary 100 but I'll probably take one of my remaining vacation days and hit that show as well.  That will do it for this season.  When the season is over I'll look back at what I did and didn't do and plan next year accordingly.

I lost a step when I turned 60 three years ago and seem to have lost another step or two each season since.  It's hard to keep up with the younger folks doing photos and racing reporting but I'm still able to do a little something so I'll stay at it as long as I can.

I have been a regular contributor to the Midwest Racing Connection again this season so I have backed off on the blog posts.  Sometimes I contemplate starting a non-racing blog but I tend to get overly ambitious with my ideas and find that I get to busy to follow through.  We'll see how things shake out.