Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Two race weekend reduced to one and other random thoughts

It's been a while since I made my last blog post so I figured I'd make a quick one tonight.  It's been almost a week since I attended the Dan Grams Memorial UMSS race at Saint Croix Valley Raceway so I've had some time to digest what took place (and edit photos).  July 26 was pretty close to becoming a carbon copy of night one of the OWN but we caught a break and got the show in.  Not without a bit of discomfort though as at one point a heavy drizzle passed through along with brisk north winds making everyone wet and wondering what became of July.

The first cool thing that caught my eye on this night was this vintage looking Pure Stock.  Street rod enthusiasts must cringe when they see what could have been a sweet restoration banging fenders on a dirt track.  Personally I thought it was a cool throwback.  I'm not sure but it looks like it could have been a Ford or Mercury but I can't identify the year and model without the trim.  I almost want to guess late 60's Ford Fairlane or Falcon or something like that.  If anybody knows shoot me an email at mndirt@hotmail.com. 

Vintage looking Pure Stock
The next thing that caught my attention is how fast most of the UMSS drivers are getting to be and how smoothly their shows are running off.  If you were there that first year or two I think you'll agree that a few were suffering from lack of seat time (no fault of their own) but things are starting to come together nicely.  Several drivers fought it out with Davey Heskin late in the race and there was plenty of side by side action.

Jason Tostenson was in the hunt most of the night
Chris Graf is always fast and his car looks awesome
3 wide, Brandon Allen 77, Cody Hahn 23 and Brooke Tatnell 25
Rick Kobs was fast in the Feature until he jumped the cushion
Flyin' Ryan Olson WISSOTA Midwest Modified Feature winner
Rob Caho Jr. UMSS Traditional Sprint Feature winner
Davey Heskin won the Dan Grams Memorial UMSS Feature race
Racing was pretty good and I'd type more but I'm going to have to cut this blog post short for the time being.  Some things have come up that have been keeping me very busy lately.  I'll make another post and fill in some of the details when I get a chance.  It's just busy non-racing stuff that has been keeping me on the go and will for a couple more months.  I'll get to a few more shows then we'll regroup again for next season.