Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wednesday August 13, just thinking out loud...


Jeff Shepard, Superior Speedway Gumout race. Get well soon.

Stan Meissner photo


First off I hope that my comments about having to take some time next season to get some projects done didn't cause too much of a stir. I got a decent bid on my roofing job so I'll have a little left over for the other repairs. Looking at the cars I'll have to see which one is worth keeping for a couple more years and I'll have my brother-in-law evaluate that. I know the people that own Sparkle Auto Sales so I'll probably buy used and work with them to find what I'm looking for. We've dealt with these challenges in the past and they're not insurmountable obstacles to attending races but some years I have had to adjust my schedule. I'm sure you have all had to do that from time to time. I'm a glass half full guy by nature and tend to panic thinking about how difficult something is going to be but once I dive into the task things work out fine. What's that called, fear of the unknown?

Actually I got a lot of experience remodeling when I owned a home in the Cities. Let's see, rewired, new duct work and furnace, plumbing, sheet rock, hanging windows, privacy fence, chain link fence, finishing the entire inside of an addition. You name it and I've probably done it at one time or another. I've got ladders and most of the tools I'll ever need. But I don't do that stuff for a living so I have to ask questions and research it so I know what I'm doing. I do about as close to a professional job of finishing drywall as the typical do-it-yourselfer is going to get. And if the project takes a professional a half day it might take me two or three days but my work has gotten the approval of the building inspector. The older I get the slower and more deliberate I get at these big projects.

I've got the week of the Cedar Lake 100 off this September so if I make some of the projects my priority instead of photo editing I can get a head start. The thing to try and do is try to maximize my time this fall, winter and next spring. I'm sure we'll be alright but we might have to juggle the schedule for a while to get it all done.

I'm not such a hard core racer that I have to go to a set number of races and I have been doing it for a long time. Since 1962 to be exact.

Did I mention that we camped at Cedar Lake last Saturday? I'm finding that I can't hang in there as long as I used to a few years ago. This summer I have only hung in there until around 3am before I have to turn in for the night. Maybe I'll score my best finish of the season at the Richert Memorial. If I have to drive until 4am that's a different deal, I get into the drive so much that I have trouble falling asleep when I do get home. Difference is that when I'm driving I'm drinking energy drinks and laying off the beer for weekend. There's a big difference between the effects of Rooster Booster and Miller Lite. I'm a firm believer in staying planted in one place when you're enjoying a few beers. I always make sure that I stay for the night at the party, camp or have a designated driver. Years ago we weren't as careful but back when I first started driving in the 60's they'd sometimes even let you go and follow you to make sure you made it home. Times have changed and in this case for the better because we probably wouldn't have change if there wasn't an incentive. Then when one gets older it all starts to make sense and we mellow out.

There I go getting off in left field again.

No comments: