Monday, September 01, 2008

Holiday weekend racing, the Richert Memorial, other ramblings...

Did everyone enjoy the racing over the Labor Day weekend? The only night I had free for racing was Friday so I went to Chateau from work to watch the USMTS Modifieds. Chateau is a nice track, Musco lighting, good food, racy surface, friendly people, I really liked it. I like Mark Noble's new wrap too, it makes me thirsty just looking at it. The 40 lap Feature was outstanding, one of the best I've seen all year in any division. I'll be going back down there in the future.



I have been trying to find Mighty Axe Sprint results. Good luck on that. I checked Speed Net results as posted by North Central, they posted every division except the Sprints. That's the mentality around here that I despise, Sprints getting second class treatment as if they didn't even exist. I don't even want to get started with my thoughts on that because I'll end up putting my foot in my mouth and getting in trouble. In my mind when entry class results are posted but not the Sprints there's something major wrong with this picture. Since when are Sprint Cars second fiddle to Streets, Supers, Pures, B Mods? Or to put it another way, if the Knoxville Raceway held a Super Stock Nationals would the stands be full and the event televised on Speed. You get my point, the Wissota anti Sprint agenda strikes again. We saw it at Rice Lake last week. The ATD paper comes out and there's one brief sentence that says Bill Balog won the IRA Feature but they've got whole paragraphs describing the Modified and Midewest Modified races in lap by lap detail. Sometimes their "back gate" mentality gets to me.

Anyways, I managed to find the Friday results posted on the ASCS website. Joseph Kouba won the Friday A Main. Wow, that one caught me off guard. I don't recall Joseph ever winning a Feature then to come out and win the Axe prelim, congratulations Joseph. I hope that cheered your dad up, he was seeing red earlier this week.

Jerry Richert Jr. and Brooke Tatnell will have their cars on display at County Line Liquor, Forest Lake, Minnesota, on Thursday September 4 from 3pm to 6pm. County Line Liquor is at the first stop light as you head out of Forest Lake on the south side at the intersection of Greenway and 8. I'm going to do my best to hustle over there after my 4pm doctors appointment over in Fridley. Whenever I go to this particular doctor I end up sitting in the waiting room so I'm probably going to get to County Line about the time they're loading their cars in the haulers. I'm going to do my best to get there before they're done. Sprint Car fans, come out and show your support if you're going to be anywhere near Forest Lake.

The Jerry Richert Memorial is the biggest, most anticipated event on my entire racing schedule. I won't go into a long explanation about how that came to be but will simply point out that I know the family and there is a connection to my past.

I don't have time to type much more this morning but maybe later.

No comments: