Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tuesday thoughts

Welcome to my Tuesday April 29 ramblings. This blog isn't an official deal, it's just a place to jot down my personal thoughts. Consequently, it's not going to be a rah, rah, thing like a column or magazine article. It's just me exposing my thoughts to the world. You'll see everything from my glass half full side when things aren't going so well to my when all is well with the world posts. Right now having lost a month of racing and a lousy weekend forecast it's going to be glass half full. In fact it might even border on an empty glass.

I noticed tonight while riding home in the vanpool that gas went up about a dime since yesterday. I'm not going to b*tch about high gas prices, place blame or try to solve the worlds problems. I'm not an expert about how much oil is left in the earth's crust but I depend on it just like everybody else. My CI is a pretty low number, only 10 cylinders between my car and truck, one in the mower and one in the snowblower. Oh yeah, I've got a weed whacker that probably uses about 1/2 gallon per summer. That's it. I ride a vanpool to work and don't do a lot of driving because I only put about two miles per day on my truck. I'll be walking to the Park & Ride when the the path is no longer too muddy to walk. To put it in perspective, I change oil every 3,000 miles on my truck. I think it must have been mid November that I changed the oil and have only put about 1,000 miles on it since then. When I lived in the Cities I used to take the MTC bus to work so I've always been conservative when it comes to fuel consumption. Yeah, even at my pace it hurts but probably not as much as if I was driving 150 miles per day in a 4x4. My way ain't for everybody but it has worked for me for the past 25 years.

This weather has been getting me down. Not only have I not gotten spring fever but I'm not anticipating the racing season. Some of my friends have made the same comment (unsolicited by me) that they're feeling the same way this year. I'm sure it's the weather and rising travel expense. I suspect some of the enthusiasm will return when the weather improves. Who would have thought way back at the end of March standing in the infield as the Sandbox Arena that I wouldn't be seeing another race until May. I'm planning on the CLS opener this weekend but the weather isn't looking very good. Next week I'm planning on going to Jackson and Knoxville for two nights of Sprint Car racing. I'm working on credentials for the IRA so we can cover them in MRC. Got to remember to call Jackson early next week. I have a hunch things are going to suddenly get busy.

I'm working on rebuilding the gotomn.com website. Change the colors and the logo and tweak things a little. Nothing major, it just hasn't had a new graphics job for a few years. It's a slow process so I'm not sure when I'll be ready to unveil it but there won't be any earth shattering changes. I don't spend much time on it now that I've got the news feeds on there. Just upload a few photos and add a history article from time to time. I just uploaded the latest 2008 version of GRP's History project so you might want to check that one when you get a chance. I've got some contributed photos from Brian Skedgel to add too.

Well, that's going to do it for today.

No comments: