Sunday, March 08, 2009

Enjoyed the UMSS meeting, working on the Olds, studying my successes...

I attended the Upper Midwest Sprintcar Series (UMSS) meeting at the Settlement just north of Somerset yesterday, March 8, 2009. The meeting went well, it was good to see everyone after the long winter. I'll be writing more about the UMSS as the beginning of the season draws near.

Does anybody who works on cars know if I have to disconnect the motor mounts and roll the motor forward in order to replace plugs on a '98 Olds Intrigue 3800 V6? The scanner says that I've got a misfire in cylinder #3 (#3 is middle front but I might as well replace them all). I swapped the coils and the misfire is still in #3. I'm also getting a second code, open injector circuit but the injector sounds like it's working so I think that code was caused by the miss. Email me if you know if I can reach the rear bank of plugs.

Now that we're getting close to the racing season it's almost time to review my successes and failures. Pretty soon I'll be going through all my 2008 photo CD's using a program that provides camera specific information. Often times I'll get home and see that I caught a really awesome shot and I'll go through the settings in a graphics program called "Polyview" that quickly shows focal length, shutter speed, ISO and f-stop. If there are some pics that really suck I'll make note of the settings on those and see what the difference was between the good and bad ones. I'll even do this for familiar tracks because I'm never satisfied, I always want to find a way to do better every time I go out.

Most of the time I have to pretty much put the race out of my mind and concentrate on shooting photos because I can't do a good job if I'm watching the race closely. If it's a really awesome race maybe I'll skip taking a shot for a few laps so I can watch some of the action but for the most part I have to concentrate.

I'll type more later this week...

No comments: