Thursday, March 26, 2009

Windows reinstall this weekend

I have been busy lately so I haven't posted much on the blog. A few days ago I started a post and saved it as a draft but changed my mind and deleted it.

I got the cars both done, the plugs and wires in the Olds and a new radiator in my truck. I've been pretty busy doing the cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, cleaning the sh*t out of the litter boxes and all that other stuff the wife usually does. She's sitting back with her arm still in a sling watching American Idol, The Biggest Loser, Dancing with the Stars, Hell's Kitchen, Desperate Housewives, ER, The Amazing Race, and a bunch of other stuff. As a matter of fact, she maxes out the dual channel DVR so I can't switch the second tuner into the other room and watch television. My wife loves her shows. I get the TV for a few minutes on the weekends if there's sports on but that's about it.

I spent the entire night downloading and saving the latest versions of programs that I'm using to my firewire storage drive. I'm backing everything up tonight so that I can come home from work tomorrow and start reinstalling Windows from the recovery discs. My computer is overdue for a system restore and I really should have done it sooner but all this other stuff came up with the car repairs and surgery. I'm glad that I've got a couple weekends left before the season starts because it takes a good two weeks before everything is configured properly. I'll get the OS up and running probably by late Friday night but what takes time is installing all the individual programs, looking up and entering passwords, configuring everything and all that tedious stuff. A lot of programs require reboots so you end up sitting there restarting over and over each time a program is installed.

My restore partition got corrupted so I'm going to have to reinstall from my recovery discs. My computer allowed me to burn one copy of the recovery discs but I have never used them so we'll see how that goes. If somehow they got corrupted then I would be forced to purchase a copy of Windows so I hope they work. I'd go with Linux as an alternative but I've got some essential Windows software that I have to run so I'd be stuck spending the money if that were the case. I buy all my computer parts at General Nano, they have a pretty good price on XP with SP3 so that's where I'd go. It's an OEM copy so you have to buy a piece of hardware with XP, hard drive screws are 5 cents. LOL But I'm hoping for the best with my install discs because I don't want to put anymore money in this box.

On my next PC I'm going back to a home build and will run a dual boot system with Windows and Linux on an Intel processor with the maximum amount of ram I can use. I want a good TV tuner card that doubles as a DVR, a large 2nd drive and a good CD/DVD RW. A P4 would do me just fine as I'm not so much interested in speed as I am reliability and a work horse machine that keeps plugging away.

I'll type to you when I'm done with the reinstall.

No comments: