Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Internet radio, blogging and other random topics...

One misconception that a lot of people have about podcasting is that an MP3 player or iPod is required in order to listen to them. That is not the case, a podcast is simply another form of MP3 audio file, the same format used for music downloads. You can listen to on demand internet broadcasts like the ones on midwestracingtalk.com directly on the player incorporated in the site or download to listen at a more convenient time or location if you own on a personal listening device. Sites such as podcastalley.com offer a large selection of categorized podcasts complete with RSS and iTunes feeds that allow you to subscribe to each new episode without having to check the sites for updates. This feature is incorporated into the midwestracingtalk.com website for your convenience.

Podcasts are a relatively new thing on the internet and have become very popular during the past five years. Today podcasters as they are called can create audio broadcasts about their favorite subject with nothing more than a personal computer and microphone and broadcast their creation across the globe with a standard internet connection. I am a self professed MP3 junkie as anyone in my office will tell you. We're allowed to listen to headphones or play our radios at a low volume so I listen to podcasts instead of radio or CD's like most of my co-workers. I enjoy podcasts because they allow me to listen to a variety of subjects that cannot be found on the radio talk shows.

As part of my weekly routine I load up my MP3 player with a couple dozen of my favorite internet radio shows ranging in subject from photography techniques to discussions about the unexplained to dirt track racing and much more. Trust me, if you enjoy learning about a wide variety of topics, listening to interviews of your favorite authors or are in the mood for a comedy show you should consider listening to podcasts. They're especially handy when you're on the go. I love to listen to them by plugging the MP3 player into my radio while driving, especially when I make those racing road trips.

One thing that I find about podcasting as compared to radio broadcast over the air waves is that there can often be a wide rang of quality. Some podcasts sound very professional like something you'd hear on FM radio but others are so poorly mixed that they're a distraction to listen to. The sound quality might be excellent but the content is a complete waste of bandwidth. On the other hand, some podcasts I are plagued by loud crackling in the background or the interviewer is uncomfortably loud and the subject is so soft they cannot be heard. In some cases the sound quality might be poor but the content is interesting which can be annoying when trying to listen through a headset while constantly having to adjust the volume. What I find the most annoying is podcasts where I can turn the volume up to almost 100% on my MP3 player but it's still not loud enough to hear over normal office background noise. There's nothing wrong with my MP3 player, FM radio, the majority of podcasts and my music MP3's come in loud and clear so I know it's not the player. Another annoying thing I've heard, especially on one particular network I listen to, is poor editing. There is no excuse for things such as several minutes of empty air space or the host talking to someone thinking they're not on the air. All those things are simple to resolve with the right tools and a little bit of audio editing to cut out dead space and bloopers. Some of the hosts apparently have never belonged to Toastmasters because they can be a bit overbearing at times, especially when they won't let their guest get a word in edgewise. Nevertheless, as amateur as some of the podcasts are great content can overcome a multitude of flaws. .

With those things in mind I put a lot of time into editing the midwestracingtalk.com podcasts and trying to get all the details right. I'm not striving to post multiple episodes each week which I feel would overwhelm people with content but to keep it at no more than two per week during the season. I make it a point to listen to each and every one of my productions on an MP3 player to monitor the quality of the sound and content.

That's it for now, I'm ready for the recliner.