Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wednesday, half way thorugh the week...

And half way to vacation week. I've been working on the camper and getting the garage organized this past week. We're going to be getting the roof done soon as well. It's been busy with all the additional things coming up so now it's time for me to take a week of vacation and relax.

Some of the dreaded "R" word has crept into the forecast for this coming weekend. Man, I sure hope Cedar Lake is able to get their show in without any of that @#%^ getting in the way. We'll be camping and I've got the whole family coming out so I want to show them a good time. For some of them it will be their first ever race. And all three grandkids will be out there at the same time, two have never seen a race and the grandson loves playing with cars and trucks. It's just a cool deal for me to be able to see that and I'm hoping the weather don't F it up on me. Of course as a hardcore racefan I'll be out there regardless but if the fam don't come I'll be giving away a gazillion hotdogs.

Who's going to win the Cedar Lake World of Outlaws show. Man, that's a tough call. I'd like to see Schatz take one at Cedar so he's the one I'm going to pull for. Two other drivers with local roots, Dollansky and Tatnell, have both won WoO races at CLS. I'd really like to see Whitney or Richert pull of a huge upset but I think the odds of that against the Outlaw cubic $$$ aren't very good. I've always felt that some of our guys could do well against them if they had the equipment and I'll always believe that. That used to be the case, Richert Sr., Bob Hopp and John Stevenson used to give those early Outlaws a good run for their money. At that time Kinser and Swindell were still baby faced kids and our guys held their own against them at North Starr and Knoxville. I feel pretty fortunate to have those kinds of Sprint Car roots up here and the opportunity to be around for it. It's been a fun deal to be able to watch this sport for so many years and to have seen so many changes during that time.

This Saturday I'll be at CLS for the Firecracker on Saturday. Last Friday I went to Kopellah and worked my butt off but I'm happy with the results. I followed along as they did driver introductions and learned a lot about doing that. It's really a challenge because you basically get one shot and you've got to hit it right the first time. I'm going to have to post a gallery of the headshots I've been doing this season as well. They're going to use them in a Cedar Lake Nascar night program and I'm honored to be able to help out with something like that. I've been going out there since around 1962, Cedar Lake is like hallowed ground to me so I don't mind helping out.

Looks like I'll be doing some more photo work for a couple of racing teams. I'm working on a special project to honor Tom Nesbitt. I was fortunate to catch some nice shots of Tom on June 7 including a nice portrait of him. Add to that the right and left side shots I got and I just had to do something special with them. I'm working on the artwork and when I'm done I'll have it printed in an 11x14 and give it to Tom. Hopefully I can catch up to Tom somewhere and give it to him in person. 50 years of racing, he deserves some special gifts in honor of a great career.

No comments: