Sunday, May 04, 2008

Sunshine makes a world of difference...

Alright, before we go any further I'll admit it. Sometimes I can be a cranky ol' grouch. This weather has made everybody a little testy so I don't feel all alone.

I'll stand by what I said about my last trip to Deer Creek but it was most likely a misunderstanding. Someone associated with the track suggested that I give it another try for the June IRA show. I thanked him but I'm still skeptical and rightfully so. We jumped through all the hoops last time and had a problem so I'm not sure if I want to make the 300 mile round trip and try it again. I don't have any special plans that night but it's going to depend on how the budget looks next month. I've got time to think about it. My comments were not directed towards the management because I never met them that night. I read all these comments about how they rolled out the red carpet, put people up in the booths, etc., but I never met anybody with the exception of a few track workers down in the infield. I wasn't welcomed, didn't meet anybody associated with the track and had a bad experience at the gate. That's what I'll remember about the place.

The track that I was most impressed with last season was Rice Lake. I only get over there every once in a while but the owner introduced himself to me, they let me park my car in the pit area and everyone was really nice. As far as the tracks I seldom get to Rice Lake, Brainerd, Jackson, and Kopellah are a few that have been fun. There are several others including Arlington, Proctor and North Central that I haven't had a problem with.

I've always had problems at Alexandria and decided not to go back there. Princeton was good but now they've got a new promoter so we'll have to start all over again. Superior has been difficult as well. It used to be pretty good for me ten years ago and I had a good experience the year they were DTRA but other than that I've had a lot of problems. You know, the usual stuff, we get setup during the week then when I get there they say my name isn't listed. I'm starting to think that maybe people have a hard time with my last name. A lot of times they'll put my name down wrong so it's spelled different and the people at the gate can't find it. Maybe I should change my name to John Doe, Jim Smith or something they'll get right over the phone.

Oh well, I guess that's my lot in life, it's an uphill battle but we'll hang in there.

I got into a discussion about Al Gore and the environment on 20/20. I simply mentioned that I read a lot and am interested in science, astronomy and those kinds of subjects and brought up a couple thought provoking subjects. Somebody actually got PO'd and called me a "tree hugger" if you can imagine that. Do these people actually believe that an environmentalists would have a racing website, write for a racing paper and post on 20/20? What did they do in high school science class, refuse to read assigned books and accuse the instructor of being a tree hugger? Sounds like some of these people have an aversion to education if you ask me. I enjoy learning and try to keep an open mind about a wide variety of subjects. What bad thing could possibly happen to me on account of that? What am I gonna' recycle too much to be considered a racing fan or something? Unreal!!! I can't believe the way some people think.

My wife found out and chewed me out. She says I need to get off the message boards and get a life. As usual she's right.

And with that I'll see you soon. This week we'll talk about the racing, specifically Jackson and Knoxville. I really need to get on some more fun topics.

No comments: