Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tuesday May 13...I can't do it all, Deb's Doula services

Tuesday May 13 and the preliminary forecast for Friday night at La Crosse calls for 20% chance of showers during the day, high of 67 and a mostly cloudy night with a low of 46. I'll take the chance of driving to a race track at 20% provided that it doesn't go up much. La Crosse is a paved track so I'm thinking that a few sprinkles during the day isn't an issue. So far it's looking like a go but I'll have my cell phone with me so I can change course if necessary.

Saturday calls for a slight chance of showers during the day with a high of 62, mostly cloudy Saturday night and a low of 42. Do you think they'll finally get one in the books at Cedar Lake? I sure hope so. I'm planning on being there if they are able to race. I don't have as many weekly shows on my schedule as some years as I'm trying to get to more Sprint races. If I can afford the gas I'll chase them down to Arlington and Jackson whenever possible. I grew up watching open wheel cars on the half mile at Twin City so I've got a soft spot for that type of racing. I'll still be getting out to CLS for all the specials and a few weekly shows. The whole family will be my guest for the Firecracker so we're looking forward to that as well.

I see they are adding a Thursday night race at CLS. I went to the WoO Sprints and got up for work the next morning many times. I've done that a couple times for the Nascar nights as well. I've got a 5:15 wakeup call and my vanpool leaves too early to be getting home that late. If I add any races and have to do accounting work on a minimum of sleep it's going to have to be something big. No offense to CLS as I understand they have to do this but it doesn't work for me at this time.

Support your local racing, I hear that theme a lot on the 40. I'm a Sprint Car fan surrounded by Late Models, Modifieds, Midwest Modifieds, Super Stocks and Street Stocks from eastern Wisconsin all the way to Montana. Those classes are fun to watch but I'm not going to lose sleep to support something I'm not passionate about. Besides, you know how hostile the local fans are about the few Sprint shows we have around here. If they had their way there wouldn't be any Sprint Car dates so they certainly aren't doing anything to support MY FAVORITE RACING. I should lose sleep, pay extra for gas and parking to support THEIR FAVORITE RACING when all they can do is badmouth mine? I think not. If I happen to catch the support classes at a special I'll enjoy them but I have no desire to follow all types of racing.

I can't can't be everything to everyone, it's just not practical for me anymore. Don't get me wrong, they're all good people and they enjoy what they're doing but let somebody who eats, sleeps and breathes Mods and Super Stocks support the Thursday shows. I'll save my vacation time and money for the stuff I enjoy like the USAC Midgets at La Crosse this Friday. Some of the other papers have a bunch of writers but I'm the only exclusive dirt writer for MRC. Obviously I can't do it all and I wouldn't even want to try. Writing about something I'm not passionate about is akin to having to work a part time job after I've been at the office all day. It ain't happening.

My wife is a Doula. For those of you who aren't familiar with it she's a birthing coach. She's certified and has a client who is overdue so she's waiting for the call. I'll be posting more information about her services on my website. She works primarily here around Forest Lake and the surrounding communities. She's very good at it so if you know anyone who's looking for a Doula Debbie is the one you want.

By Stan Meissner

No comments: